Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Scalamandre!

I would like to own this bag that is now on sale for $87 at kate spade:

It is modeled after the Scalamandre wallpaper from the restaurant Gino's (on Lexington Avenue) that closed in May after 55 years. I ate there once with Johnny Dunne and our experience inspired this illustration:


I drew the zebras myself and then did a little cut, paste and repeat action. And as you can see from this photo from Gino's (that I just found on the internet), my illustration was not too far from reality:


*Is that Lisa Loeb, dining at Gino's?

Wes Anderson also used this wallpaper in the movie "The Royal Tenenbaums", as you can see here, behind my hero, Margot Tenenbaum:


So should I get the bag?

2 comments:

Michelle Morby said...

I want your version of this wallpaper STAT!

Tina Haltigan said...

get the bag..i love bags