Thursday, October 20, 2011

When Photography Works


I love illustration for expressing concepts and style (and a million other things), but I love photography for documenting moments in time. I love a photograph that can do what illustration cannot. This picture of CBGB's by Joseph O. Holmes captures a very important place that no longer exists, because what was a legendary rock club is now a men's clothing store with ridiculously priced clothes. It's kind of a shame, but I have to be careful to not become one of those people who talks about how great New York used to be.

*The first time I was at CBGB's I was 17 years old, I had just moved to New York City to go to Parsons, and I was pressed up against the stage watching as the lead singer from FOETUS reached out over the audience and grabbed my boyfriend Will's head. I was horrified and mesmerized. And I probably went back for more over 100 times.

You can buy this photograph here:
http://www.20x200.com/art/2011/10/cbgb-stage.html

No comments: